Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hudson - South Seattle - We have a contender!

Our buddy Woody called us up wanting to make sure he was part of a chicken fried steak adventure over the weekend.  This was appropriate as Woody is indeed the one who came up with the idea of the Chicken Fried Seattle blog.  We happily agreed to the adventure and chose to target Hudson - a breakfast spot we had descended upon previous to the blog's inception.

Hudson is located in the neighborhood of "Georgetown" in South Seattle.  It has a very odd location along Highway 99 with no other retail businesses surrounding it.  It has a small sign and an unassuming exterior, almost overpowered by the year-round billboard advertising the KUBE Haunted House that perches above their own sign.  Hudson is comprised of two areas - an indoor spot with a wrap-around bar and booths and tables along the 3 walls surrounding it.  Right outside is the patio - a simple cement floor area that is walled off by a a wood fence that you cannot see through - although you can still hear the traffic along 99.  It has lots of spots for shade and if the weather is decent it's quite a pleasant place to sit for your meal.  On this particular Saturday morning, both Woody and Tex donned hoodies.  Being the warm-blooded mammal I am, I was comfortable in my short-sleeve button-up shirt.


We parked in the small 3-car lot right in front of the restaurant and walked inside.  We encountered a group of our friends and said quick hellos - somewhat surprised that they also found this "off the map" establishment as they were all transplants to Seattle over the last year.  The bartender told us we could sit wherever we wanted, and we chose to settle ourselves at a small 4-top on the patio near a party of 8. Surprisingly, on such a gorgeous Seattle morning, only the 8-top and Woody, Tex and I were on the patio.

As we were settled, the party of 8 next to us got up to leave.  As they walked out, they turned to us and told us that we must order the chicken fried steak as it was the most delicious item on the menu.  We were excited to have this unsolicited recommendation.

Our waiter quickly came over to greet us and Tex and Woody ordered bloody marys while I settled on a greyhound.  Tex and Woody were both excited to try the chicken fried steak ($10.95 on the menu) as they had both had good experiences previously.  The drinks (and coffee for me) came quickly and the waiter also served us each a small glass of  "champagne beer" as a chaser.  This delight usually comes as a bonus to the bloody marys, but the waiter felt that I, too, should be in on the fun even though my grapefruit juice and vodka fell outside of the "bloody" category.

The beer was surprisingly delicious.  Tex and I sucked ours down quickly.  Woody, not being a beer connoisseur, chose to just take a few sips and set his aside.  The waiter then took our order.  Tex and Woody both ordered the chicken fried steak with gravy on the side.  Tex likes his eggs over easy and he happily chose a biscuit amongst the various bakery choices.  I ordered the breakfast tacos and added a side of buttermilk toast - but I held the sour cream.

We enjoyed our beverages and conversation for a bit while our meal was being prepared.  It appeared that my greyhound was made with fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice and it was delicious.  Tex and Woody both raved about their bloody marys - complimenting them on their "kick" and delicious flavor.

When the food arrived, it was certainly not a disappointment.  The portion was large and looked very appealing - and the cup of gravy fit neatly on the plate, ready to be used to baste the delicious breaded meat.  Tex and Woody were both eager to dig in.


After a few bites, Tex and Woody started spewing their critique.  Tex commented that the gravy was really tasty.  He said the only thing that could make it better was either sausage or bacon grease - or maybe both.  Woody kept nodding in agreement as he dipped his bites into the sauce.  Tex broke off a piece of biscuit, dipped it in the gravy and then fed it to me.  I had to agree - the gravy was spectacular (and the biscuit was fresh and moist).

As they continued to enjoy their meal, Tex commented that the breading wasn't staying on the steak however, the meat was so tender you could literally pull it apart with your fork.  He looked up at me, grinned and said, "And man, does that breading have a kick!  This is definitely good.  There are so few things to complain about."

Woody just looked at me with a mouth full of chicken fried steak and uttered, "mmmmmm..."

My breakfast tacos (really more like burritos) were delicious and I enjoyed every bite - even consuming my hash brown potatoes and all four slices of my buttermilk toast.  Tex looked up at me guiltily and when I inquired about his expression, he told me that he felt bad he didn't save even one bite of his steak for me to try.  I laughed and told him that I was just thrilled he enjoyed it so much.

As he finished his meal, Tex pushed his plate back and started clapping.  I looked up and he ecstatically said, "I'd give that so many chews 'cos I'd like to chew it all over again."

Ladies and gentleman - we have a contenter!  Hudson serves up a a fantastic chicken fried steak!  The gravy is delicious, the breading has a kick, the steak is incredibly tender and the portion size is Tex-approved!  Head on down to the Hudson and order up the chicken fried steak - gravy on the side!

And now, as our Seattle quest continues to find the perfect chicken fried steak, we now have a meal to beat.  Hudson - you're in the lead!

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing! I am so glad that y'all have FINALLY found someplace decent!

    ReplyDelete